- Blot the spill with a paper towel immediately.
- Don’t wipe the area, it will spread the spill.
- Flush the area with plain water and mild soap and rinse several times.
- Dry the area thoroughly with a soft cloth and repeat as necessary.
To Clean Poured Wine/Liquid in Your Natural Stone Floor
Identifying the type of stain on the stone surface is the key to removing it. If you don’t know what caused the stain, play detective.
- Where is the stain located?
- What color is it?
- What is the shape or pattern?
- What goes on in the area around the stain?
Surface stains can often be removed by cleaning with an appropriate cleaning product or household chemical. Deep-seated or stubborn stains may require using a poultice or calling in a professional.
The following sections describe the types of stains that you may have to deal with and appropriate household chemicals to use and how to prepare and apply a poultice to remove the stain.
Types of Stain
- OIL-BASED(grease, tar, cooking oil, milk, cosmetics)
- ORGANIC (coffee, tea, fruit, tobacco, paper, food, urine, leaves, bark, bird droppings)
- METAL(iron, rust, copper, bronze)
- BIOLOGICAL(algae, mildew, lichens, moss, fungi)
- INK(magic marker, pen, ink)
- WATER SPOTS AND RINGS(surface accumulation of hard water)
- FIRE AND SMOKE DAMAGE
- ETCH MARKS(Etch marks are caused by acids left on the surface of the stone)
A poultice is a liquid cleaner or chemical mixed with a white absorbent material to form a paste about the consistency of peanut butter. The poultice is spread over the stained area to a thickness of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch with a wood or plastic spatula, covered with plastic and left to work for 24 to 48 hours. The liquid cleaner or chemical will draw out the stain into the absorbent material. Poultice procedures may have to be repeated to thoroughly remove a stain, but some stains may never be completely removed.
If you have followed all of the procedures and tips given above and if the stain remains. Call NYC Stone Care we have the training and the solution for your stone. Give us a call at 888-318-8990 or email us and we’ll give you a free quote! We are serving New York and the surrounding areas.